The Women in Medicine Interest Group (WIM) aims to promote the personal and professional growth of women in medicine and the medical sciences by:
- Providing female students with access to mentors and role models within the University of Maryland medical community;
- Celebrating strong women leaders and distinguished females in the University of Maryland Medical System;
- Addressing lifestyle concerns unique to women in medicine and the medical sciences;
- Sponsoring meetings, panels, lectures, and seminars on professional development, career opportunities, and work/life balance for women in medicine and the medical sciences;
- Strengthening opportunities for women to pursue traditionally under-represented specialties;
- Providing students with a historical context of the role of women in medicine;
- Serving as a focus for the discussion and resolution of issues of interest to women in the University of Maryland School of Medicine community.